10 Lessons to Learn About Soccer
1. The fans and the opponents usually don't care about your self-esteem. YOU need to produce on the field before you feel good about yourself.
2. At the elite level you cannot take your opponent, yourself and training lightly.
3. You can fall in love with the game, you can fall in love with yourself, but don't confuse it with arrogance and selfishness.
4. Soccer is a very easy game to play, but it's an extremely difficult game to play well!
5. It's important to be courteous and gracious when you are winning, but it's more important to be courteous and gracious when you are losing.
6. You can't go after the past nor lose yourself in the future.
7. Play well until the game is over. Don't wait until you are losing to start playing well.
8. Players who lose their temper usually lose.
9. It doesn't matter so much who gets the credit, as long as the TEAM is winning.
10. You are an elite player when you make difficult things look simple, NOT by making simple things look difficult.
Fitzgerald Haig, a USSF A License coach